Vamos a Santander!

This morning we woke up early to catch the train for Santander (the city, not the bank). The ride from Madrid was beautiful because we were moving from the center of Spain all the way up to the northern coast, giving us the chance to see the difference in climate and weather along the way. Eventually, the rather dry and flat farmland turned into a luscious rainforest. Instead of the sunny 90 degree weather we were struggling to get used to, it was a cool 65. After dropping our luggage off at the hotel, we directly went to get some food. Since we are right on the shore, most restaurants have a large amount of seafood to offer. Personally I am not a huge fan of seafood so I stuck with my favorite plate in Spain: Patatas Bravas (potatoes with a slightly spicy dipping sauce). Afterwards we visited the shore, and along the boardwalk were many large white tents where you could buy art, food, clothes, and other souvenirs. One of our favorite small snacks we like to get from these small markets is fruta seca, which is dried fruit, because it is REALLY sweet. We walked towards the Palacio de la Magdalena, passing by a small zoo where we saw penguins and sea lions. The palace was massive and right above a large cliff over the ocean. I really enjoy looking at all of the architectural differences between the United States and Spain, because nearly every building is picture worthy here. That being said, I wouldn’t mind living here in Santander for a little while to enjoy the lively beaches and the beautiful city.